To govern or take care of any company or industry, it is enough to study the course on business administration. But, this is not the case with health care industry. Hospitals or other health care units are not just like other businesses, and it requires more of things to be known as a health care professional. All these are covered under the courses related to health care administration.
Featured Healthcare Administration Schools in USA
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880. What began as an academic institution of just 53 students has now grown to more than 38,000. Today USC continues to uphold its tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, fostering a vibrant culture of public service and encouraging students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.
- Online Executive Master of Health Administration
- Master of Public Health
- B.S.- Healthcare Admin
- A.S. - Health Information Management
- Medical Office Administration (Associates)
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
- Health Services Administration, BA (Online Only)
- Health Services Administration, BA
- Health Services Administration, AA (Online Only)
- And more...
- Medical Staff Services Management A.A.S.
- Health Care Management B.S.
- MBA with emphasis in Health Care Administration
- And more...
- Health Care Administration
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- A.S. - Health & Human Services
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
- A.S. - Health Sciences - Medical Administrative Assistant
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Healthcare Administration (BS)
- Health Information Management (BS)
As a recognized leader in higher education since 1920, IWU empowers busy adults to reach their educational goals, advance in their careers, and find their true calling in life, all within a supportive, faith-based environment.
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration - Online
- Master of Business Administration Health Care Administration
Take a step forward in your career with Bryan University. We offer a number of associate degree and diploma programs that can be completed online and on campus at our locations in Missouri, Arkansas, and Kansas.
- Healthcare Administration
- Medical Administrative Specialist
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Health Sciences (BS)
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Healthcare Administration (MBA)
- And more...
Administering a hospital is very important and only if the administration is good, all the treatments, recruitment of doctors and purchase of new equipments, everything will happen properly. With ordinary business administration degree, it is not possible to get a job in hospital or other health care units. So, it is necessary to take up a specialized study on healthcare administration.
After obtaining either bachelor or master degree in healthcare administration, you can take up jobs in hospitals as an entry level management trainee. Initially, you might be responsible for either a particular department, and in course of time, as you start gaining experience, you can even raise up to the chief executive. The pay will also grow higher each year based on your skills and managerial skills.
Who can become a health care administrator?
To become a health care administrator, a master degree is generally expected. Though, some low level marketing kind of jobs is entrusted to those who complete a bachelor degree, you have to complete master degree, if you are really ambitious in climbing up the professional ladder. To enroll for a master degree in health care administration, you should have successfully completed a bachelor degree in the same branch. After completion of master’s degree you can further take up doctorate program too. This will add value to your qualifications. Apart from just education, you should also have certain other traits as listed below to become a health care administrator.
- Rather than just business interest, you should also have interest over health care.
- A basic knowledge of the usage of equipments and specialization of doctors is necessary.
- Apart from these, you should also have strong financial knowledge.
- Above all, you should have good leadership qualities and administrative capabilities.
- There may be lot of issues between the hospital staff and patients; you should be able to tackle it effectively.
- Lot of emergency situations may arise and you should be thoroughly knowledgeable and ready to tackle such situations.
All health care professionals may not have through knowledge and capability of all these traits. But, only those with all these qualities can shine more in this profession.
There are multiple kinds of courses under a single umbrella of degree in health care administration. The curriculum of these programs varies a little bit and you choose the program based on the institution that offers it and also your interest. Listed below are some of the programs related to health care administration.
- Bachelor’s degree – A bachelor’s degree in health care administration is the first step that you have to take when you aspire to become a health care professional. Most of the universities offer this course. Though the course is generally preferred to be taken up in the regular stream, you can also go for online course. The curriculum comprises of all fundamental course related to healthcare, marketing, economics, leader ship and insurance. Apart from just these health care related courses, you will also have an exposure towards geography, literature and psychology. This will shape you to take up further studies on health care. Acquiring only a bachelor degree will not be of much use in settling down in a profession, but it is a mandatory degree in your career as a health care professional.
- Master’s degree- To enroll for a master degree in healthcare administration, the basic eligibility criteria is the completion of bachelor degree in health care. The curriculum of this degree is a level higher than that of in the bachelor degree. In addition to that, you will also be given various case studies and prepare you to face real time situations. On completion of this course, you will be ready to take up any administration role and work independently.
- Doctor of Science – If your interest lies on research or teaching, then you can take up doctorate program in health care. You can also enroll for this program, to gain more knowledge on the specified field. Only limited universities facilitate this program and you can choose one based on your location.
Choosing Top schools for health care administration programs
After making a decision to take up a career in health care administration and choosing a program, the next thing that you have to look for is the best school to choose for it. Here are the tips on what to look for in the chosen school.
- Placement in jobs – To get placed in a good job will be the ultimate aim when you join in a health care administration program. If your university can offer you life time assistance in this regard, then you can very well go for that institution. Especially if you are a student from overseas, then the money that you spend for the course will be more and unless you are assured of the job, you may be hesitant to go for it. Some of the best universities in Kentucky offers you best placement in jobs.
- Program with CAHME accreditation – Apart from just placement, you should also be aware of the accreditation status of the university that you wish to join. The program that you wish to enroll for should be recognized by the Commission on accreditation of Health care Management Education. Only if the program is accredited, your certificate will add value when you go in search of a job.
- Part time program – If you are working profession, then part time executive programs will help you out. Universities in Washington offer such best executive administration courses, specially designed for working professionals. Check if the program is accredited and adds values same as other regular courses.
You have a wide range of career options according to course that you have completed in health care administration. There are an ever increasing number of multi specialty hospitals, with equal increase in the number of staff required to take care of the administration. As an administrator, you will not just be responsible for the proper functioning of various departments, but you will also be expected to improve the standard of the hospital or health care centre. So, if you are highly innovative with administration skills, then lot of career opportunities will knock at your door.
As a holder of bachelor degree, you can take up jobs an assistant administrator or other kind of simple financial and marketing jobs. If the number of available degree holders with master’s degree increases, then there will be less option left out for bachelor degree holders. So, it is always better to complete your masters in administration, before you look out for jobs. The career options after completion of masters degree is huge. You can get into the department in which you are more interested or the one which you have chosen as elective in your degree. This will include finance, management, operations, administration and intelligence.
There are also a number of scholarships available for eligible students who take up health care administration studies. The general criteria for selecting the students are based on the academic records. Also, special scholarships are available for disadvantaged students. This may be on the economic grounds or other racial grounds. Some scholarships are available for overseas students as well. The availability of scholarships varies based on the state where you study and also the university.
The average pay for any health care administrator may vary from $50,000 to $150,000, at an entry level, based on your education and capability. To improve your rank in the job market and also get an increased pay, you can also take up special certification courses like Global health effectiveness, clinical effectiveness and public health studies. These certifications can simultaneously be acquired when you pursue your master degree.
Unlike other health care professionals like nurses or doctors, acquiring license is not mandatory for health care administrators. This is applicable for all the administrators who work in hospitals. But, in case of long term professionals, who work in care facilities, license is made necessary according to different state rules. To acquire this license, you have to take part in the examination conducted by the concerned state government. Also, the procedures to retain this license active differ in each state. There are also provisions to transfer license from one state to another. So, it is not necessary to take up exam each time you move from one state to another.
With these knowledge on the studies related to health care administration, you can opt for one which is best suited for you. A deep analysis of available jobs will give you a clearer idea on choosing the right kind of course.