To govern or take care of any company or industry, it is enough to study the course on business administration. But, this is not the case with health care industry. Hospitals or other health care units are not just like other businesses, and it requires more of things to be known as a health care professional. All these are covered under the courses related to health care administration.
Featured Healthcare Administration Schools in USA
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Associate of Science in Health Administration Services
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- And more...
- Phoenix Career Services™ help students find careers that match their interests & map out a personalized career plan.
- Mentorships & networking opportunities available through Alumni Association of 800,000+ graduates.
- Flexible start date and class schedules.
- 100+ locations and online options.
- Offers special military rates and special advisors who have a military background.
- Students can earn credits for applicable military training and education.
- Master of Health Administration - Sustainability Management
- AA in Health Administration
- Master of Health Administration/Education
- And more...
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute SPH brings together the fields of medicine, business and education to develop professionals with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex global health challenges.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Master of Public Health
- MBA: Healthcare Administration
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Health Care Administration
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Health Science
- BS in Health Care Administration
- Master of Health Information Management
- And more...
Earn Your Degree from U.S. News & World Report-Ranked Florida Tech – 100% Online
Grounded in a tradition of excellence since 1958, a degree from Florida Tech puts you in good company. With a longstanding reputation of unmatched academics, Florida Tech has educated NASA scientists, CEOs of Fortune 500 companies and highly decorated military generals. Join distinguished alumni and empower yourself with a career-building degree that employers value.
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration/Healthcare Management
- Associate of Arts in Healthcare Management
- MBA Healthcare Management
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Healthcare Management - HSA Mgt.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- And more...
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Leadership
- Ph.D. in Health Services- Health Care Administration
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Self-Designed
- And more...
Grantham University's 100% accredited online degrees are convenient, portable and designed so you can fit education into your life instead of arranging life around your education.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Systems Management
- Master of Science in Health Systems Management
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- And more...
Administering a hospital is very important and only if the administration is good, all the treatments, recruitment of doctors and purchase of new equipments, everything will happen properly. With ordinary business administration degree, it is not possible to get a job in hospital or other health care units. So, it is necessary to take up a specialized study on healthcare administration.
After obtaining either bachelor or master degree in healthcare administration, you can take up jobs in hospitals as an entry level management trainee. Initially, you might be responsible for either a particular department, and in course of time, as you start gaining experience, you can even raise up to the chief executive. The pay will also grow higher each year based on your skills and managerial skills.
Who can become a health care administrator?
To become a health care administrator, a master degree is generally expected. Though, some low level marketing kind of jobs is entrusted to those who complete a bachelor degree, you have to complete master degree, if you are really ambitious in climbing up the professional ladder. To enroll for a master degree in health care administration, you should have successfully completed a bachelor degree in the same branch. After completion of master’s degree you can further take up doctorate program too. This will add value to your qualifications. Apart from just education, you should also have certain other traits as listed below to become a health care administrator.
- Rather than just business interest, you should also have interest over health care.
- A basic knowledge of the usage of equipments and specialization of doctors is necessary.
- Apart from these, you should also have strong financial knowledge.
- Above all, you should have good leadership qualities and administrative capabilities.
- There may be lot of issues between the hospital staff and patients; you should be able to tackle it effectively.
- Lot of emergency situations may arise and you should be thoroughly knowledgeable and ready to tackle such situations.
All health care professionals may not have through knowledge and capability of all these traits. But, only those with all these qualities can shine more in this profession.
There are multiple kinds of courses under a single umbrella of degree in health care administration. The curriculum of these programs varies a little bit and you choose the program based on the institution that offers it and also your interest. Listed below are some of the programs related to health care administration.
- Bachelor’s degree – A bachelor’s degree in health care administration is the first step that you have to take when you aspire to become a health care professional. Most of the universities offer this course. Though the course is generally preferred to be taken up in the regular stream, you can also go for online course. The curriculum comprises of all fundamental course related to healthcare, marketing, economics, leader ship and insurance. Apart from just these health care related courses, you will also have an exposure towards geography, literature and psychology. This will shape you to take up further studies on health care. Acquiring only a bachelor degree will not be of much use in settling down in a profession, but it is a mandatory degree in your career as a health care professional.
- Master’s degree- To enroll for a master degree in healthcare administration, the basic eligibility criteria is the completion of bachelor degree in health care. The curriculum of this degree is a level higher than that of in the bachelor degree. In addition to that, you will also be given various case studies and prepare you to face real time situations. On completion of this course, you will be ready to take up any administration role and work independently.
- Doctor of Science – If your interest lies on research or teaching, then you can take up doctorate program in health care. You can also enroll for this program, to gain more knowledge on the specified field. Only limited universities facilitate this program and you can choose one based on your location.
Choosing Top schools for health care administration programs
After making a decision to take up a career in health care administration and choosing a program, the next thing that you have to look for is the best school to choose for it. Here are the tips on what to look for in the chosen school.
- Placement in jobs – To get placed in a good job will be the ultimate aim when you join in a health care administration program. If your university can offer you life time assistance in this regard, then you can very well go for that institution. Especially if you are a student from overseas, then the money that you spend for the course will be more and unless you are assured of the job, you may be hesitant to go for it. Some of the best universities in Kentucky offers you best placement in jobs.
- Program with CAHME accreditation – Apart from just placement, you should also be aware of the accreditation status of the university that you wish to join. The program that you wish to enroll for should be recognized by the Commission on accreditation of Health care Management Education. Only if the program is accredited, your certificate will add value when you go in search of a job.
- Part time program – If you are working profession, then part time executive programs will help you out. Universities in Washington offer such best executive administration courses, specially designed for working professionals. Check if the program is accredited and adds values same as other regular courses.
You have a wide range of career options according to course that you have completed in health care administration. There are an ever increasing number of multi specialty hospitals, with equal increase in the number of staff required to take care of the administration. As an administrator, you will not just be responsible for the proper functioning of various departments, but you will also be expected to improve the standard of the hospital or health care centre. So, if you are highly innovative with administration skills, then lot of career opportunities will knock at your door.
As a holder of bachelor degree, you can take up jobs an assistant administrator or other kind of simple financial and marketing jobs. If the number of available degree holders with master’s degree increases, then there will be less option left out for bachelor degree holders. So, it is always better to complete your masters in administration, before you look out for jobs. The career options after completion of masters degree is huge. You can get into the department in which you are more interested or the one which you have chosen as elective in your degree. This will include finance, management, operations, administration and intelligence.
There are also a number of scholarships available for eligible students who take up health care administration studies. The general criteria for selecting the students are based on the academic records. Also, special scholarships are available for disadvantaged students. This may be on the economic grounds or other racial grounds. Some scholarships are available for overseas students as well. The availability of scholarships varies based on the state where you study and also the university.
The average pay for any health care administrator may vary from $50,000 to $150,000, at an entry level, based on your education and capability. To improve your rank in the job market and also get an increased pay, you can also take up special certification courses like Global health effectiveness, clinical effectiveness and public health studies. These certifications can simultaneously be acquired when you pursue your master degree.
Unlike other health care professionals like nurses or doctors, acquiring license is not mandatory for health care administrators. This is applicable for all the administrators who work in hospitals. But, in case of long term professionals, who work in care facilities, license is made necessary according to different state rules. To acquire this license, you have to take part in the examination conducted by the concerned state government. Also, the procedures to retain this license active differ in each state. There are also provisions to transfer license from one state to another. So, it is not necessary to take up exam each time you move from one state to another.
With these knowledge on the studies related to health care administration, you can opt for one which is best suited for you. A deep analysis of available jobs will give you a clearer idea on choosing the right kind of course.